Tuesday 18 January 2011

reader's image for discussion


Thanks to Gordon for being brave enough to send this one in.

Firstly the things I like about the image. The sky is a good colour and has some nice clouds. I like the fact that the image contains areas of light and shade rather than being uniformly lit all over. The viaduct adds an element of interest to what would otherwise be a rather empty scene.

Now for the bad news! The part of the landscape that is illuminated has very little of interest in it. The lighting does nothing to bring out the texture of the hillside or its shape. The area of shadow is too large - it should not be larger than the sunlit area. The main point of interest (the viaduct) is too far away and rather blends in with the background. The sheep are too small to make a significant contribution to the composition.

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for your helpful and constructive comments. I spotted this view of the Ribblehead viaduct on the Settle - Carlisle line as I was driving along. I thought it offered a different view from those usually seen, and I noticed the rather attractive cloud formation. I now realise - thanks to your comments - that I need to take more care in looking at the whole view and the balance of the various elements. Gordon

    ReplyDelete